[FSUG PD] Public Code: All these success stories are possible thanks to your support

marco marco.bettin a tiscali.it
Mer 21 Apr 2021 17:19:00 CEST

Hello,

For almost three years the FSFE has been working on the "Public Money?
Public Code!"; an initiative [1] that requires that publicly financed
software developed for the public sector should be made publicly
available under Free Software licenses. Thanks to your support we have
managed to get almost 200
organisations and administrations as well as more than 30.000
individuals to sign our call. This demand is based on the four freedoms
that Free Software offers: the freedom to use the software for any
purpose, to study the software code without restrictions, to improve the
software, and to share it along with any of its improvements.

Thanks to the joint work of our team and all those who have supported us
we have been able to achieve a lot in these three years, that is why
today we want to share with you some of our recent success stories.

Recently the city of Dortmund in Germany has committed itself to Free
Software by passing unanimously the motion of using Free Software
whenever possible and to make the software paid by public money,
available for everybody [2]. This is
another example of an administration following the principle of "Public
Money? Public Code!" - If it is public money then it should be public code.
Furthermore, a story of success not only for the citizens, public
administrations but also for the economy is the case of the Canton of
Uri and Bern in Switzerland. The Canton of Uri has used successfully
Free Software for
several years to manage the administration of applications related to
construction plans and it is pursuing to convince other Cantons to do
the same by showing them all the benefits that Free Software offers. The
Canton of Bern is a successful example of that. [3]
Lastly, we are happy to announce that our PMPC video is now also
translated to
Swedish [4]. With this translation our video is now available in nine
languages;
English, Dutch, French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian. Spanish, German
and now
Swedish.
As said before, all these achievements have only been possible thanks to
the support of our community. Therefore we want to thank you for
supporting our
initiative. We would really appreciate if you can continue to let others
know about our campaign by sharing it with your friends and community.
All these success stories can serve as a reference of all the benefits
that we can achieve with Free Software.
Thank you again for all the support and we are looking forward to coming
back to you soon with some more new success stories.

Best,

Alexander Sander

PS: We highly appreciate additional support through contributions
https://fsfe.org/contribute/contribute.html and/or donations
https://my.fsfe.org/payonline/FC19085544P1
With your support you will contribute to a solid foundation on which we are
building our charitable work for freedom in the information society.

[1] https://publiccode.eu/
[2] https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210331-01.html
[3] https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210318-01.html
[4] https://publiccode.eu/sv/
--
FSFE, Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany
Registered at Amtsgericht Hamburg, VR 17030

Please support our work: https://my.fsfe.org/payonline/FC19085544

This email was sent to marco.bettin a tiscali.it
as you asked to receive further information from the FSFE.
View or update your personal settings: https://my.fsfe.org/